Monday 27 June 2011

Nothing but an orthotic wearing, high arched, under pronator...

...I'm also a 48 year old, Welsh, gay diabetic. Oh, and I like to run.

There, that's that out of the way. So why am I telling you this? Well, I  always find it difficult knowing when to drop information about myself into conversations and whenever I do, it always sounds like a small explosion. I guess I'd rather get it all out the way at the beginning. So, now you know...

On Saturday I bought myself a new pair of trainers for running. My old ones had started making a funny slapping noise with every step and after 18 months wear it was time I changed them. It's always difficult buying new trainers: whilst I was ready to trade in the old ones, my feet were still best friends with them. I'd done some research on the internet and made a note of some pairs (suitable for a high arched, under pronator) I'd like to try on. That done, one pair stood out from the rest: the flagship cushioning shoe in the Asics collection, the Gel-Nimbus 12.

As soon as I got home I went for a 5km run. Whilst you're actually running, it's hard to know whether a new pair of trainers are good because during the run you scrutinise every step: is that twinge because of the new trainers, are my legs just heavy today, what's that slight ache in the small of my back...? And on it goes. Nothing conclusive during the run.

After the run I noticed that my slight back ache had not subsided. And then I realised; I'd forgotten to insert my orthotics. I've worn inserts in my trainers ever since I broke my ankle 3½ years ago; I get a bad back if I don't use them. How did I forget to insert the orthotics? Duh!

On Sunday I went for another run. Only 3km this time. Just long enough to test drive the new trainers - with orthotic inserts this time! The run was fairly comfortable and I tried to forget I was wearing new trainers and just enjoy it. This I managed to do, despite the sweltering heat at the end of a beautiful day but after the run as the evening wore on... how my poor legs ached. With every trip to refill my wine glass my simian gait grew more pronounced!

I was dreading tonight's run. My calf muscles have been tight in work all day and the thought of my run this evening only drew a foreboding gloom that I'd bought the wrong trainers and all this would be confirmed by tonight's agonising 5km. However, tonight's run was nothing but pleasurable. Yes, my calf muscles are still a little tight, yes, my back still aches slightly and yes, the shoes still feel a bit "new" but they seem to be bedding in.

Whilst they're not quite best friends yet, my feet are well on their way to getting to know my new trainers.

No comments:

Post a Comment