Monday 4 July 2011

Such a drag...

The beauty of the weekend weather on a school day such as today soon turns sour. Sentiments such as this are borne out of envy; envy as a cloudless sky beckons whilst a corporate life demands. I gazed out of the office window feeling listless and fatigued, wishing I was elsewhere... anywhere else! I tried to concentrate on my work but failed miserably; the unfortunate twist of meteorological circumstance.

The only good points about work today were the blissful ride in and ride home; a cooling and calming cycle in the breeze coupled with dappled sunshine through the leaf cover. Perfect!

Given the space my head was in, it was an inevitability that tonight's run was going to be a lardy legged and panting affair - despite the new running vest, good weather and the trainers bedding in ever more with every run, it was destined to be heavy going. I did my counting trick and tried to zone out but failed. I remained painfully aware of every rasping breath; a run that should take 25 minutes felt like a marathon.

I needed to lift my spirits if I was to finish this run. When I broke my leg in 2007, I swore that if ever I ran again I would enjoy every bloody step of it. Thinking about this usually does the trick instantly for me. I just have to picture myself in that hospital bed and the difference between now and then usually gets me grinning from ear to ear. To be fair it pulled me out of glums today but, dear God, it wasn't easy.

Smiling was a long and hard won battle tonight but I got there eventually, partly thanks to the memory of sitting in a hospital bed with a melon sized ankle and partly thanks to the memory of the fun I had recording this on Friday night.

Bonkers!

No comments:

Post a Comment