Tuesday 16 August 2011

The ladies who lunch...

Cycling into work through the drizzle this morning, I almost ran into a group of women in Cardiff's pedestrianised Hayes. A combination of damp weather, me rushing because I thought I was going to be late and a momentary lapse of attention resulted in a near accident.

To be honest, their age and girth along with their big buckled handbags would probably have resulted in me coming off worse than they. "Watch yourself love", one of them shouted. There must have been five or six in the group; all in their early 60s and done up to the nines. They all laughed and I apologised and then prepared to cycle on when one shouted after me, "Do you fancy being my toy-boy on my birthday?" I mumbled something about it being a tempting offer and hastily cycled on. They all laughed.

What could have turned out as an unpleasant encounter, thanks to a group of middle-aged women out for a bit of shopping and a birthday lunch, instead became one of those inspirational moments that makes your day and restores your faith in humanity. So, here's to the ladies who lunch...

No comments:

Post a Comment