Sunday 30 October 2011

I mean to have you even if it must be burglary...

I've been a little at odds today; thrown completely by the clocks going back. I've not known what the time was because my internal clock has been at odds with every clock I've seen; whether they've been displaying GMT or BST. This finally resolved itself with darkness setting in a whole hour early and me accepting that winter is close upon us.

Close it may be but you'd never guess by this afternoon's sunshine. I spent it cycling around Cardiff Bay in the good weather this penultimate day of October delivered. After yesterday's hangover, it was good to get a little active and enjoy being out. Who'd've believed it; a shorts and sunglasses day on October 30th - unseasonable indeed.

I went for a swim this afternoon for the first time in a while. The pool was quite empty and set at its full 50m length and so my swim felt quite serene. In the late afternoon I watched Withnail & I. I'd seen much of it before; years ago when it first came out but I think I was drunk when I saw it then and ended up falling asleep. It was good to borrow the DVD and get a second chance at it.

I've never really liked Richard E Grant as an actor, although I can't help but be impressed by his performance as Withnail. I don't think he's an easy actor to like. Richard Griffiths as Uncle Monty is quite brilliant and a delight to watch. Everything I've ever seen him do has been quite wonderful; one of those actors you can never get enough of.

And Paul McGann as Marwood delivers the most understated performance in the film but quietly, perhaps, the best. Is it just me or is he quite handsome as Marwood? He's certainly got the phwoar factor. I would! Indeed, he still looks good in later publicity shots. I feel like I'm turning into Uncle Monty... "I mean to have you even if it must be burglary."

No comments:

Post a Comment