Friday 7 October 2011

It's the freakiest show...

You know when you get a song stuck in your head and you can't shift it; that's what happened to me tonight on my run. Round and round it went in my head as I quietly hummed/sang my way through it time and again, much to the bemusement of the people I saw on my run around the Bay.
Sailors fighting in the dance hall
Oh man! Look at those cavemen go
It's the freakiest show
Take a look at the Lawman
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
He's in the best selling show
Is there life on Mars?
Bowie's Life on Mars was one of the first singles I ever bought. Aged eleven, I can remember hearing it for the first time and being totally mesmerised by it and by him. I remember watching him on Top of the Pops and seeing that look of bewilderment on my Dad's face. This only served to heighten my interest in this alien stranded on earth (a role he was to play 3 years later in The Man Who Fell to Earth).

In the 1970s we'd never seen anything like it; the cross dressing, the make-up, the casual admission of bisexuality, the futuristic sounds and the tantalising lyrics. We were entranced.

As for my humming/singing Life On Mars, which was stuck in my head as I ran tonight - I guess it could have been worse; I could've been singing Shaddup You Face.

No comments:

Post a Comment