Tuesday 8 November 2011

Now, who fancies a spitroast...?

As many of you know, the Kings Cross, Wales' oldest gay bar, closed a while ago. I wrote about it here in September and I was sad to see it go after so many years and so many memories. But, I guess, times change. As I passed it this morning (as I do most mornings on my way to work) it was shrouded in its tarpaulin - like a corpse before burial maybe or perhaps like a pupa on its way to becoming a butterfly. Who knows?

I walked over to take a closer look and noticed that it is now promoting itself under its new name of The Corner House. It looks nice enough and the menu looks promising.

However, the thing that really caught my eye was on the hoarding they've got up outside the pub. The hoarding boasts Sunday roasts, pastas, risottos, burgers and fish. Nothing unusual about that, you say. Indeed, I've seen all those dishes served over the years in its old guise as the Kings Cross. However, one thing it now boasts that the Kings, in all its long history as a gay bar, never ever quite managed: spitroasts... The Corner House is offering spitroasts!

What next - handcuffs, cubicles and a gloryhole? Perhaps a dark room and a sling for the pre-theatre crowd? The times, they certainly are a changing...

My run tonight saw me cover 4.05 km in 20'53" at 11.62 km/hr.

No comments:

Post a Comment