Thursday 17 November 2011

A veritable smorgasbord...

My favourite meal of the day has to be breakfast. When at home, I invariably eat porridge; filling, high in fibre and slow to release carbohydrate throughout the morning.

When on holiday, my favourite meal of the day remains breakfast, although I rarely eat porridge. Usually, there are too many other things on on offer that I want to try. The hotel I'm staying at does a very good breakfast. Everything from Full English through a vast array of cold meats and cheeses to yoghurts, fresh and dried fruits, tomato, cucumber, eggs in every imaginable way, a huge choice of cereals, pastries and every bread you've ever seen or heard of. I think I've tried them all.

My reason for liking breakfast here, however, is not because of the bewildering and tempting choices presented (although I admit that this would be reason enough). No, my reason for enjoying breakfast here is because of the people watching opportunities it provides. A veritable smorgasbord!

There's the German husband and wife with their 12 year old son. They all look like they've been cloned from Gert Fröbe; big boned, rosy cheeked and well fed - they've even all got the same sandy cropped hair style, mother included. If they said they were anything other than Schleswig Holstein farmers, I'd be surprised - fat of the land, or what?

There's the elderly English couple, traumatised by the choice of food on offer, they stick to what they know and what they're used to: tea and toast. Then there's the other English couple, where he just sits at table while she scurries to and fro, ensuring that his every need and breakfast urge is catered for. He gulps and tears at his food accompanied by frequent grunts and slurps. A trough wouldn't be out of place.

There's the beautiful dark French couple with the toddler. All three ooze chic from every pore. They seem so stylish and urbane; I'm sure that the toddler is allowed only black coffee for breakfast followed by a Gitanes.

And lastly there's the blond German couple with three blond sons all under 10 years old. They seem so relaxed and easy with each other. So helpful and forgiving. They all muck in together gathering what they need for this first meal of the day. And if someone spills or tips something; hey, it's not the end of the world.

I saw the father sunbathing by the pool in his swimming trunks when I came back from the beach tonight. If he scattered his breakfast on the floor and then rolled in it, I wouldn't think any the less of him!

[In a camp Swansea accent] O my God, I think I love him...!

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog Duncan really enjoyed that one !!!

    Love from

    Trolley dolly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete