Monday 14 November 2011

What's Dunkirk Spirit in German...?

So, I'm sitting on the beach and it's hammering down with rain. Shortly after I'd managed to put up my little beach shelter this morning, the heavens opened. People scattered in all directions trying to find shelter but there was none to be found. I felt smug, sat in my beach shelter.

There's nothing quite so grim and British as sitting on a beach in the rain. Nothing, that is, except I was sharing my beach shelter with two German guys I'd met the day before. Well, I couldn't very well ignore them stood there wrapped in beach towels getting wet. So all three of us sat there looking grim and British whilst it rained for over an hour. "It's only water" I offered. The Germans didn't see the funny side.

After this the sun came out again but it wasn't quite the same. I left the beach at about three-ish and made my way back. It's about 2km back to the nearest hotel and everyone looked a little damp and dejected along the way, despite now bathing in brilliant sunshine again.

After a quick warm up, I set off on my run at about four-ish. I think my muscles were affected by today's damp start. My leg and buttock muscles ached. They had taken on a stiffness of old rubber and they didn't really begin to loosen until the run was almost over. After my run, I splashed about in the hotel pool for a bit but rather than a cool relief to the run, it just felt a little chilly.

An odd day but nothing that few glasses of vodka won't fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment