Tuesday 13 December 2011

5,424 calories later...

I'd talked myself out of going for a run tonight; I'd decided instead to have a lazy night. However, it doesn't feel right getting in straight from work and sitting down. Going for a run after work is more of a mental need than a physical need. And so it was that I pulled on my shorts and scampered off into the high winds and squally showers.

Tonight's run was one of the best runs I've had in a long time. Look below at the statistics and, I'm sure you'll agree that, it can't have been a good run for the nothing-to-write-home-about distance, pathetic time, paltry pace and lazy cadence. I've run further and faster many times before. No. It was a good run because of the way I felt.

It started before I left the house when I found my other running glove. I'd searched high and low the evening before but could only find one glove. My frozen handed frustration last night was counterbalanced by a gloved calmness tonight. The other thing I enjoyed about tonight's run was the weather; the winds were especially high as I crossed the bridge and the squally showers spat at me from all directions. There was a spring in my step as a bobbed along, buffeted by the windy gusts and rain spattered by the squally showers.

Tonight's run was my 16th outing since November 26th when I got my Garmin running watch. Since then it tells me that I have spent a total of 6 hrs running 68 km at an average speed of 11.2 km/hr. I have burned 5,424 calories and run over of 59,000 steps. This may sound like beginners class to some of you hardy runners but I can say with the utmost sincerity that I've thoroughly enjoyed nearly every one of those 59,000 steps.
Today's run at 18:21
Distance4.38 kmTime24:12
Pace5:31 min/kmCadence81 spm

2 comments:

  1. You can double any run in the rain if it's cold stats wise, and treble head wise...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wimped out by the way...

    ReplyDelete