Wednesday 21 December 2011

An Apple and Orange...

I recently upgraded my phone from an HTC to an iPhone and today it arrived. Anyone who has bought an Apple product will know that they make the buying experience so wonderful it's almost addictive. Great service, cool packaging, helpful staff, down to earth attitude; it sticks in the mind. It stays with you.

Orange, on the other hand, leave a lot to be desired. Their website is usually riddled with faults and often, the functions they boast of there don't work. It's frustrating, to say the least. In the past I've had problems logging in, I've had problems viewing my bill, I've had problems viewing the plan I'm on. The list goes on and on.

Today my problem was with their contacts backup service. They boast on their website:
The Contacts Backup service gives you peace of mind knowing that you’ll never lose a number again. So when you replace your Orange phone you can easily restore your contacts, saving you time and hassle and best of all the service is free in the UK.
I backed up my contacts from my HTC on Monday and tonight tried to restore them to my iPhone, however, everytime I tried I was met with a connection failed message.

After trying numerous times over a couple of hours I rang them, only to be told that it's a failure they're aware of, that it's been going on some time and they don't know when they'll get it back. Hopeless! If it hadn't been for the excellent service given by the guy who answered my call, I think I'd have exploded.

So I now have a lovely new phone with lots of features except that if I want to make a call or send a text, I have to manually type it in from my old phone and I have no idea who's calling me. The future's Orange...?
Today's run at 18:32
Distance4.04 kmTime21:23
Pace5:18 min/kmCadence81 spm
Comments: Still and relatively warm.

4 comments:

  1. can't you use bluetooth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never learned... ;-)

    Seriously, I thought that there was a problem trying to sync between the iPhone and any other device using bluetooth. I'll give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alternatively, the old trick of copying contacts to your SIM card and using it in the new phone to import contacts from SIM. You can butcher a normal sized SIM into a micro SIM...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Their site seems to be functioning correctly now, despite their pessimistic outlook.

    ReplyDelete