Friday 30 December 2011

Not waving but drowning...

During my lunch hour today I went in search of a suit that I can wear to a black tie function that's a couple of weeks away. I had two dinner suits that I threw out earlier this year because they had become too big for me.

This time around, I didn't want to buy a traditional dinner suit as they always seem to look so square on me - I invariably end up looking very cuboid and stumpy in them. I was after something that would make me look slimmer; something you might describe as elegant and stylish rather than traditional/functional. I was after something that didn't cost me an arm and a leg and, for some reason, I had become set on something in navy blue.

For some reason, I ended up in Moss Bros. How this came to be, I know not; I don't particularly like their styling or their aggressive sales technique. Despite all this, I stumbled upon a navy two piece suit that I liked and all at a reasonable price too. Within seconds one of the shop assistants had swooped and was bundling me into a changing booth to try on the suit.

The jacket fitted perfectly as did the trousers, except for the calves, which were too tight. I asked the assistant if I could try a larger pair of trousers on. He said he'd get me a suit the next size up. I explained that it was only the trousers that needed swapping as the jacket fitted perfectly. He said that he couldn't mix different size trousers with a different size jackets. I tried reasoning that not everyone comes in the standard sizes and proportions in which they make their suits but he wouldn't budge. It was policy.

I eventually gave up and agreed to try the next size up. This suit fitted my calves perfectly but unfortunately was far too big elsewhere. I was drowning in it. It looked worse than the ill fitting, boxy dinner suits I'd recently thrown out. The assistant said that it would be no problem to have it adjusted at a local tailor's and that it would not, in all probability, be that expensive for me.

I explained (slowly, in case he didn't follow): that I was looking for a cheap suit that I may only get 3 or 4 wears out of, that I did not want to spend additional funds on top of the cost of the suit, that I did not wish to get the whole suit altered simply to be able to cover my calves. He looked perplexed. I left.

I eventually picked up a similar suit in Next. Yes, again the trousers are tight around my calves but having bought the next size trousers up, I only need to get the trousers altered because Next have a sensible policy around mixing and matching suit trousers and jackets.
Today's run at 18:23
Distance4.17 kmTime23:10
Pace5:32 min/kmCadence81 spm
Comments: Rain. Backache

4 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried Slaters? They adjust anything you buy for free and aren't pushy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever tried Slaters? They adjust anything you buy for free and aren't pushy

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAVE YOU TRIED SLATERS.....?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Might give it a go next week. Thanks both.

    ReplyDelete