Tuesday 6 December 2011

Roadkill...

This morning I stumbled upon this BBC page about road deaths in the UK. The page points to videos and infographics telling the story of human injury and loss of life as a result of traffic accidents over the last 12 years.

Between 1999 and 2011 there have been over 3,000,000 casualties as a result of traffic accidents, of which there were 373,985 serious injuries and 36,000 people lost their lives.

Whilst out running tonight, I passed a roadside shrine of flowers tied to a railing marking someone's death. I've seen it on previous runs; I'm sure it's been there for at least a couple of months. I'd never paid too much attention to it before but, with the statistics highlighted on that BBC page still whirring in my head, I saw it in a different light.

5 people die on Britain's roads every day. Shocking and truly horrific.
Today's run at 16:46
Distance4.01 kmTime21:37
Pace5:23 min/kmCadence82 spm

No comments:

Post a Comment