Friday 9 December 2011

Sibling rivalry...

It's a well documented phenomenon: when a second child is born the first often feels jealous of the attention given to the new arrival. It's a hard lesson; discovering that you are not the only being of importance in this universe. I reacted quite badly when my brother arrived. My solipsistic existence soon lay in tatters.

Up to and including May 27th 1965 I reigned supreme but on May 28th 1965 I'd been relegated; not just to second place but to second division. All I wanted was to regain my pre-sibling number one pole position. Nothing was going to stand in my way.

I constructed towers of wooden blocks on top of him in his cot which I then demolished - the bricks showering down on his head. I stuffed his beloved teddy up the chimney and my mother had to then throw it out - so ingrained it was with soot. I well remember the day when I threw a dart at him which lodged in his temple and my mother had to tug really hard to remove it - my brother balling his eyes out all the while.

He recently, completed his second course of chemotherapy after the cancer he thought he'd conquered returned. He's hopeful for the future. We all are. I'm meeting him for a drink tomorrow.
Today's run at 17:41
Distance4.19 kmTime22:23
Pace5:20 min/kmCadence81 spm

2 comments:

  1. It's getting lower!!! Put some effort in boy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. They won't go any faster...!

    ReplyDelete