Tuesday 10 January 2012

Where car is king...

As I was walking to the bus stop this morning, I couldn't help but notice how busy the roads were. I then noticed that James Street in the Bay was cordoned off. You couldn't see much from where I was standing but the big yellow sign said Road Closed. Police Incident. On my return from work tonight, James Street was still closed.

Reading the news, I see that the police are investigating a fatal car crash in the Cardiff Bay area at 3am this morning. After failing to stop for a marked police car, the 22 year old driver of a Fiat collided with a pedestrian, 25 year old Kyle Griffith, who later died from his injuries in hospital. The driver, who is suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the incident, was re-arrested this evening on suspicion of murder.

We live in a society where people in bars on Friday nights joke about five and drive, where pedestrians are thought of as nuisances and cyclists even worse and where drivers complain about speed cameras and talk of strategies to avoid them. Is it just me or have we got our priorities a little mixed up...?
Today's run at 18:08
Distance4.06 kmTime21:45
Pace5:22 min/kmCadence81 spm
Comments: Drizzle.

No comments:

Post a Comment